The Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) identifies the transportation projects and strategies that CRTPO and NCDOT plan to undertake over the next ten years. All projects receiving federal funding must be in the TIP. The TIP is the region’s way of allocating its transportation resources among the various capital and operating needs of the area, based on a clear set of short-term transportation priorities.
- Is updated at least every two years;
- Is realistic in terms of available funding and is not just a "wish list" of projects. This concept is known as fiscal constraint;
- Conforms with the State Implementation Plan (SIP) for air quality (CRTPO is classified as nonattainment for ozone);
- Is approved by the MPO and the governor; and
- Is incorporated directly, without change, into North Carolina’s State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP).
- The process by which the NCDOT STIP is developed is known as NCDOT Prioritization
DRAFT 2020-2029 TIP
NCDOT released an updated draft version of the 2020-2029 Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) for public comment on August 7, 2019. The release of the DRAFT STIP has triggered a variety of activities, including internal reviews and assessments, public involvement efforts, and financial analysis. NCDOT’s Board of Transportation has adopted the STIP in September, and CRTPO will be required to adopt the 2020-2029 TIP by February of 2020. CRTPO will be required to update the TIP financial plan, complete an air quality conformity determination, and conduct public involvement as part of this process.
A series of schedule changes for legacy projects (NCDOT Prioritization 4.0) were necessary to balance the available revenue between the 2018-2027 TIP and the DRAFT 2020-2029 TIP. These changes have been recommended by NCDOT and will need to be included in the CRTPO’s TIP adoption process. The list of the recommended legacy project schedule changes can be viewed here.
- The Final 2020-2029 STIP supplement for the CRTPO can be viewed here.
- The Fiscal Constraint Funding Summary for the FY 2020-2023 program years of the CRTPO’s TIP can be viewed here.
NCDOT maintains a “Live STIP” that is updated monthly based upon TIP amendments that are approved by the Board of Transportation. NCDOT’s Live STIP can be viewed here.
2045 MTP Amendments
Following the adoption of the 2020-2029 STIP by NCDOT, a series of amendments to the 2045 Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP) Amendments were required to ensure that the plan conforms to CRTPO’s TIP. Amendments were required to the 2045 MTP for the following reasons:
- To add new projects that were not previously in the 2045 MTP, but were identified in the DRAFT TIP
- To move projects to a different horizon year in the 2045 MTP
- To change project extents in the 2040 MTP to match the limits in the DRAFT TIP.
The TIP is a subset of the 2045 MTP and both documents should match.
A list of the approved 2045 MTP amendments that are recommended to conform to the 2020-2029 TIP can be viewed in the map and list below:
CRTPO 2045 MTP Amendments:
Recent TIP Presentations:
For more detailed information regarding the TIP, view presentations below;