Upcoming Community Stakeholder Meetings for the I-77 Corridor Study:
Join Our Kickoff. Move Us Forward.
The Charlotte Regional Transportation Planning Organization (CRTPO) is kicking off Beyond 77 - a project focused on improving the user experience on and around the I-77 corridor.
We’ll be talking travel patterns, transportation needs and desires of local residents. Your involvement will directly impact the future of travel along the I-77 corridor. Are you in? Please RSVP if possible.
Two stakeholder meetings were held in December. A third has been scheduled for January 28, 2020:
Tuesday, January 28, 2020
Drop-in between 4:30 and 6:30 p.m.
Charlotte Center City Partners
200 South Tryon St (16th Floor)
Parking will be validated for those parking in the deck at the corner of S. Church & 4th streets
Project Team Meetings:
November 5, 2019
September 13, 2019 - Kick-off meeting
- Atkins Inc. consultant firm was selected for the study and the contract negotiations process is underway. This process is anticipated to conclude by February 2019.
- On October 22, 2018, Charlotte City Council approved the execution of a municipal agreement with NCDOT to accept funding and negotiate the consultant contract.
- Technical scoping meetings were held with the Technical Coordinating Committee members from varies municipalities along 77. A draft technical scope and study area was outlined during these meetings and used to develop the advertisement of the RFQ for the study, which closed on August 7th.
- In Winter of 2017, interest meetings with elected officials from jurisdictions along the corridor and stakeholder agency leadership were held. The attendees provided meaningful feedback and expressed their thoughts on the significance of the study.
- The draft project limits are from Statesville, NC at exit 54 (US-21) to Rock Hill, SC at exit 77 (US-21) which is approximately 68 miles.
- The study will be funded using $2 million of NCDOT State Planning and Research Funds and is anticipated to be completed within 2 years.
- A major focus of the study area will be the parallel network and the east west connections along the corridor as well as other modes of transportation.
- The I-77 Corridor Study will comprehensively capitalize on past efforts and generate a vision for the overall system as well as identify strategies for achieving the vision through an ongoing collaborative community engagement process.
Agustin Rodriguez, PE
CRTPO Project Manager