TRANSPORTATION EVALUATION COORDINATOR
Wednesday, February 16, 2022 8:00 AM
Wednesday, March 09, 2022 8:00 PM
Planning Design & Development
- $71,445 to $86,968 commensurate with level of experience
- Full Time
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This engineering position’s area of focus will be on supporting the engineering components of the federally mandated metropolitan planning process. The position is responsible for supporting the Charlotte Regional Transportation Planning Organization (CRTPO), the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for the Charlotte urbanized area, which includes Iredell, Mecklenburg, and Union counties.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist the Transportation and Planning Engineer with various tasks including transportation alignment evaluation, cost estimating, and administering the traffic count program.
- Coordinate, lead, and implement components of the long-range transportation plan, including roadway ranking efforts and project data sheets.
- Develop and implement a framework and database to submit, maintain, and update transportation projects for funding consideration.
- Participate in the preparation of corridor and subarea studies.
- Support implementation of the I-77 corridor study’s (Beyond 77) strategies and solutions.
- Conduct transportation analyses using transportation-related computer software.
- Provide support for the Transportation Improvement Program development process.
- Conduct data collection and analysis.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to provide an array of technical services in the transportation field, including, but not limited to, a basic level of transportation corridor design across various modes.
- Basic experience with tool such as Synchro, VISSIM, HERE data, trip generation.
- Knowledge of transportation planning activities at the federal, state, and local levels.
- Working knowledge of an MPO’s governmental function relative to project prioritization and delivery.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences.
- Excellent public speaking and customer service skills.
- Ability to perform effectively and efficiently with moderate level of supervision.
Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Urban Planning, Architecture, Geography, or Landscape Architecture may be substituted for one year of experience
- Four-Year degree in Engineering, Urban Planning, Architecture, Geography, Landscape Architecture or related degree.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, and AutoCAD Civil 3D.
- Three years professional engineering or planning experience
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
As of October 1, 2021:
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for all new City of Charlotte employees. The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
HOW TO APPLY
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.