FY2021 Traffic Data Request Form
FY2021 CRTPO Traffic Data Program
In 2015, we launched the CRTPO Traffic Data Program (TDP). Each fiscal year, CRTPO will issue a 21 calendar days call for projects or locations to be submitted for the annual Traffic Data Program. This program will provide member jurisdictions with needed traffic data to be used to support transportation planning and research efforts that will advance initiatives and planning projects throughout the MPO planning area.
Due to the changes in traffic patterns and volume over the current global pandemic, we are extending the window to submit projects from the typical three-week period to most of the fiscal year (FY). This FY, the window will open on August 17, 2020, and will remain open until May 1, 2021.
An allocation of $60,000 will be applied to projects eligible for PL funds and that meet the criteria specified by the TDP. CRTPO has retained two consultants to collect, analyze and process the traffic data and subsequently the data will be provided to the project sponsor. All project data will be delivered as soon as the information is received and processed and the delivery format will be based on the type of data requested. The project information may also be made available to the public (upon request). Due to the federal funding type, a minimum twenty (20) percent match is mandatory for all project submittals. The available program funds may be insufficient to satisfy all project requests thus CRTPO staff reserves the right to allocate funds based on equitable distribution of the available resources. The project selection will be different from previous years due to the current pandemic. This FY, CRTPO staff will first ensure the request meets with the criteria(s) as stated below, and will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Each Jurisdiction will be limited to a maximum dollar figure to ensure funds are available for other jurisdictions. At this time, the cap for each jurisdiction will be $6,000 (10% of max. allocation).
Project Submittal Criteria:
- The traffic data will typically involve Comprehensive Transportation Plan (CTP) designated roadways (boulevards, thoroughfares, and collector roads)
- The requested traffic data type shall be clearly specified (i.e. turning movement counts, corridor counts, bicycle/pedestrian counts, heavy vehicle counts, etc.)
- The duration of the requested count data shall be specified (i.e. peak hour, school arrival/dismissal, holiday, 16-hour signal warrant, 24-hour, 1 week, etc.)
- A map depicting the requested count locations shall be included as part of the submittal (email all supporting data to email@example.com)
- Requested data should be used in association with transportation planning projects
- A justification/explanation of the intended use of the data will be required for each project submittal. Examples include: Traffic volume data needed for capital project planning, pedestrian counts to assist greenway planning, etc.
- Project request forms must be submitted by the CRTPO member jurisdiction for each project by the specified due date
- Exceptions may be made so submit any relevant projects
- A 20% match is required
Please note the following program guidelines:
- Submitting a proposal does not guarantee that funds will be awarded.
- The funds may not be available to provide the total amount of each project request.
- Funds will be provided only to jurisdictions with MPO voting privileges at the time the UPWP is adopted.
- PL funds are federal funds, thus grantees must adhere to federal policies regarding the use of PL funds.
- The project selection will be made on a case by case basis and determined at the discretion of CRTPO staff.
North Carolina Department of Transportation - Traffic Data
City of Charlotte Department of Transportation - Traffic Data